SEEKING SoCAL BREWERS TO HOST COLLABORATION BREWS
Crossing craft beer from Mexico to the United States isn't easy. Many of the Tijuana, Ensenada, and Mexicali craft brewers who want to participate at BAJA BEER CRAFT 2016 (November 11th, during San Diego Beer Week), don't have the means to export their beers to the United States. Accordingly, we are seeking SoCal-based craft brewers who would enjoy hosting a "collaboration brew" made in their facility, working together with a Mexican-based brewmaster. We have a list of Baja breweries wanting to partner with you... If you want to make some new industry friends south of the border, this is your opportunity! We are even going to take you on a little trip south of the border to introduce you to these Mexican brewmasters (see below). Si no hablas Español, don't worry, these guys speak English too (or at least enough Spanglish that you will understand them). Inquire now for more details.
Get To Know The Mexican CRAFT Brewers ON OUR 3-Day BREWERY Tour of Northern Baja - SEPTEMBER 7-9!
We wouldn't dare have you brew a collaboration beer on your first date! Which is why we are hosting a 2-night/3-day brewery tour of Ensenada, Tijuana, and Mexicali so you can meet the Mexican brewmasters south of the border. If you haven't experienced what's going on with the craft beer scene south of the border, this is your opportunity (hint: you're going to love it). On this special industry-only tour on Northern Baja craft breweries, you will be hosted by the Mexican brewmasters, right in their own facilities!
SoCal-based brewmasters interested in taking this trip to meet your craft beer hermanos from another madre, please use the inquiry form below to let us know you want to go. Baja Test Kitchen is covering the cost of transportation, food, and beer (but of course). You only have to pay for your hotel (estimated budget: $125 USD for both nights, single occupancy; $75 USD for both nights, double occupancy - sleeping on the bus by permission only!). Space is limited, and we expect this special industry tour bus to fill up quickly, so don't wait to let us know you wanna go!
BAJA BEER CRAFT INDUSTRY Tour Itinerary:
- Wednesday, September 7th - San Diego to Ensenada, Back to Tijuana's Plaza Fiesta
- Depart from central location in San Diego at 9:30am and drive to Ensenada
- Arrive in Ensenada by 11:30am; eat a tasty lunch at a truck-stop taco stand famous with truckers, locals, and surfers alike
- Tour Ensenada's craft breweries, meet with the brewmasters, and try their beers from 12:30-5:30pm
- Drive north to Tijuana, and check into your hotel before hitting Plaza Fiesta's craft beer tap rooms from 8pm-midnight; you'll meet the TJ brewmasters and sample their beers; dinner is on us at Plaza Fiesta
- Thursday, September 8th - Mexicali by Night
- After breakfast at the hotel in TJ (optionally paired with a hair of the perro), depart for Mexicalli at 11am, stop for lunch on the way, arriving at approximately 3pm; check-in at your hotel, refresh and prepare yourself for another night of craft beer bliss
- Departing the hotel at 4pm, we'll be taking a tour of Mexicali's craft brew scene, as led by legendary craft brewer, and local beer scene expert/fixer, "Rafa" of Cervezaria TresB (we call this guy "the Godfather of the Mexicali craft beer scene" because the dude knows everyone, and looks/talks like a young Marlon Brando!)
- Like a local, you'll end the night at The Show Beer Rock Bar, Mexicali's premier craft beer bar, where there's always live entertainment and cold craft beer on tap
- Friday, September 9th - Back to San Diego
- After sleeping in a bit, and a leisurely Mexican-style breakfast, you'll check-out of the hotel and the bus will depart at 12-noon for San Diego
- We'll cross back over the border in Mexicali and take I-8 West back over the mountains to San Diego, arriving back at the pick-up/drop-off location by approximately 3pm (just in time for work)
- What you'll need to bring: a valid passport, money for your two hotel stays, and a small overnight bag with a change of clothing (please leave your medical marijuana at home - it's not legal in Mexico yet); Consider bringing down some beer of your own to share with the Mexican brewers you'll meet!
BAJA BEER CRAFT 2016 EVENT OVERVIEW
Building on the success of our 2015 event, our 2nd annual event, BAJA BEER CRAFT 2016, will be held at Liberty Station in San Diego, California on Friday, November 11th, from 6-10pm. At last year’s sold-out party, we hosted 11 Baja California craft breweries, serving tastings of 40+ varieties of Mexican craft brew, to over 300 attendees—we were one of the biggest and most popular events of San Diego Beer Week… This year’s event promises to be even bigger and better, with plans for 600-1,000+ attendees, more craft breweries, Baja California cuisines, and live entertainment!
The theme for 2016’s event is “Cross Border Collaboration” – we’ll be featuring collaboration brews co-created by Baja and Southern California breweries. To get the kettles warmed up, there will be a USD $1,000 cash prize for the best cross-border collaboration brew, as voted on by the event’s attendees.
DATE: Friday, November 11th, 6-10pm
VENDOR SET-UP: 3-5pm
WHERE: Corky McMillin Event Center, Liberty Station, POINT Loma, San Diego
CLICK: FOR A LIST OF 2015 PARTICIPATING CRAFT BREWERIES, RESTAURANTS, ARTISTS, ENTERTAINERS & MEDIA PARTNERS
contact: BEERCRAFT@BAJATESTKITCHEN.com for more information
Event Format The 2nd annual 2016 BAJA BEER CRAFT Event format will be a hybrid of tasting event and beer festival, with the goal that participating craft breweries profit financially, while exposing their beer and brand to 600-1,000+ San Diego and Southern California area craft beer enthusiasts attending San Diego Beer Week. At this year’s event, brewers will sell beer tasters and pints to the event attendees. Accordingly, we advise you to bring lots of beer to this event! Last year’s event sold-out a week early, and we were one of the “hottest tickets at San Diego Beer Week.” So this year we have moved to a bigger venue to accommodate an even bigger party!
Event Theme: This year’s theme is “Cross Border Collaboration” – participating breweries should consider brewing “collaboration brews,” co-created by Baja and SoCal breweries working together across the border. To get the kettles warmed up, we are happy to announce a USD $1,000 cash prize for the best cross-border collaboration brew, as voted on by the event’s attendees. To enter this competition, brewers must complete the contest entry application and be pre-approved in writing by the event organizer.
Expected Number of Event Attendees: 600-1,000+ paid attendants
Expected Number of Participating Baja Craft Breweries: twenty (20)
Expected Number of Baja Food Vendors: five to seven (5-7)
Beer & Food Sales Format: Regulations and laws established by the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) require that we strictly control the sale and on-site distribution of alcohol to people over 21-years of age. Accordingly, all event staff and attendees must be at least 21 years old. We are required to check staff and attendee IDs at the door, issue wristbands to attendees over the age of 21, and sell beer tickets from a central location to attendees of legal drinking age. Beer and food tickets will only be sold by Baja Test Kitchen (the event organizer) at the event, and will be redeemed by you at your booth. At the end of the night, you will turn in your beer tickets for reimbursement in cash ($USD) as described below.
Participation Costs for Beer & Food Vendors: To participate as a beer vendor, you will pay a small up-front vendor registration fee (save money by registering early – see below), plus a percentage of your beer or food sales at the event:
Up-Front Vendor Registration Fee:
- USD $75.00 if you pay by September 11th (save $175 by paying early!)
- USD $150.00 if you pay by October 11th (save $100)
- USD $250.00 if you pay after October 11th
- Upon receiving your completed vendor application, we will send you an electronic invoice that may be paid online, from Mexico or the U.S., with any major credit card. To received the discounted early registration price, we must receive your payment by the early payment deadlines - no exceptions.
Percentage of Beer or Food Sales at Event:
- Participating beer vendors will split the revenue generated by beer sales, 60/40% with the event organizer, Baja Test Kitchen
- Food and beverage tickets will be sold to event attendees for USD $1.00 each (retail value to event attendees)
- Participating beer or food vendors will receive USD $0.60 reimbursement for every (1) ticket turned in at the end of the event
- The 40% of beer sales revenue retained by event organizer pays for venue rental, furniture rental, decorations, event management & logistics, alcohol sales permit, wrist bands, cups, ice, event insurance, event marketing & promotion, on-site security, and live entertainment
- Illustration of Beer and Food Sales Revenue 60/40% Split:
Participation Requirements for All Craft Breweries:
- If you are brewing beer for this event in Mexico, you must make your own arrangements to cross and store your beer before the event (if you need help with this, please let us know well in advance)
- Participating breweries must provide at least two (2) people over the age of 21 to serve beer at your booth for the entire duration of the event. Your event staff will be responsible for set-up (from 3-5pm) and break-down/clean up (from 10-11pm). Your staff will need to present a valid photo identification demonstrating that they are at least 21-years-old. You will not be paid for beer sales until your booth is completely cleaned up, to the satisfaction of the event organizer and venue management.
- Mexican-based brewers and food vendors will need to complete and submit IRS Form W-8BEN, “Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting,” before we can reimburse you for your beer tickets collected at the event.
- U.S.-based brewers and food vendors will need to complete and submit IRS Form W-9, “Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification,” before we can reimburse you for your beer tickets collected at the event.
- Completed and signed tax forms should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before the event.
Provided for Each Participating Brewery:
- 3 staff passes for your staff pouring beer at the event
- 2 event tickets for admission to the event (may not be sold or traded)
- One (1) 6-foot table with table cloth/drapes
- One (1) plastic bin to hold ice
- 50-lbs of ice per brewery
- Taster & Pint cups (all beer must be served in the official event cups – you may not sell beer in glass bottles or other containers)
Beer Vendors Must Supply/Comply:
- Your own jockey-box if you will be serving from kegs
- Beverage vendors must comply with local healthcode and State ABC regulations
- Prices for beer must be clearly and professionally displayed
SOCAL BREWER COLLABORATION INTEREST FORM
If you are a SoCal brewer interested in learning more about hosting a collaboration beer with a Mexican brewmaster for BAJA BEER CRAFT 2016, please complete and submit the interest form below and we'll email you with more details...