EAT YOUR WAY THROUGH TIJUANA ON THIS GUIDED FOOD TOUR!
TJ BITES is a curated and guided foodie dream tour of Tijuana's vibrant culinary scene. This full-day tour visits gourmet restaurants, world-famous taco stands, locals-only street carts, a Mexican craft brewery, the birthplace of the iconic Caesar Salad, and Tijuana's famed outdoor produce market. You’ll eat the best tacos and sip amazing craft beers and cocktails. As you and your guide wind through Tijuana's barrios, you'll be walking (and tasting) right in the footsteps of Anthony Bourdain, Andrew Zimmern, and Chef Rick Bayless!
ITINERARY: FULL-DAY CULINARY TOUR - January 13th (MLK Weekend)
- 10:00-10:15am: Meet your gastroguide on foot at the San Ysidro, California at our designated border meeting point on the U.S. side of the border. It's an easy drive to the meeting point, or take public transportation (San Diego Trolley), taxi, or Uber
- 10:15-10:30am: Walk across the border to Tijuana with your guide to your tour vehicle awaiting on the Mexico side
- 10:30-11:00am: Drive to Stop 1 in central Tijuana
- 11:00-11:30am: Stop 1: This innovative little food cart boasts some of Tijuana's most tasty tacos, and it's 100% vegetarian! But no worries meat eaters, you won't miss the meat at this first stop, as their mouthwatering tacos don't lazily "lean" on meat for flavor, and instead deliver a cornucopia of traditional and bright Mexican flavors via this land's many plant-based culinary choices (get the day started right with a high-quality mezcal sipper, then eat veggie street tacos curbside)
- 11:30-12:00pm: Drive to Stop 2
- 12:00-1:30pm: Stop 2: Tour Tijuana’s famed central produce market (eat freshly handmade tamales, street-style birria beef tacos, fish tacos, and/or shrimp tacos; drink an aqua fresca or Mexican Coca-Cola)
- 1:30-2:00pm: Drive to Stop 3
- 2:00-4:00pm: Stop 3: Visit Avenida Revolución where we'll stop in at one of Tijuana's famous craft breweries, and then Caesar’s Restaurant, the birthplace of the iconic Caesar Salad; we'll also check out some of Tijuana's iconic street art as we explore one of TJ's famous back-alley "pasajes" (drink a 4-beer taster flight at the craft brewery, then eat a Caesar salad and its cousin, the Victor's Salad for a tasty comparison; drink a glass of Valle de Guadalupe wine or Ceasar's very own craft beer on tap)
- 4:00-4:30pm: Drive to Stop 4
- 4:30-5:00pm: Stop 4: Visit "Taco Alley," a locals favorite enclave of taco stands that's located in a pleasant neighborhood outside of the tourist district (eat street-style "al-pastor" pork tacos where the pork is slow roasted and carved right from the spit into fresh tortillas; drink a Mexican Coca-Cola or aqua fresca if you're thirsty)
- 5:00-5:30pm: Drive to Stop 5
- 5:30-6:30pm: Stop 5: Visit Tijuana's hippest gastropub (drink a craft cocktail, or a pint of craft beer, or an agua fresca; and eat gourmet tacos & shared tapas at a chic gastropub)
- 6:30-7:00pm: Drive back to U.S. border inspection station in Tijuana, Mexico (your guide will drop you off at the entry to the pedestrian border crossing) – END OF TOUR
- 7:00-7:30pm: After clearing U.S. immigration and customs, hail Uber or taxi, take Trolley, or walk back to your car parked in San Ysidro, CA (actual arrival time in San Ysidro is highly dependent on actual border wait time, which varies - BTK has no ability to affect actual border wait time - accordingly, we advise against making mission-critical plans for the evening after your tour)
PRICE & BOOKING INFO
$159 per person - purchase now below. Space is limited. Inquire for group discount for six or more people. Price is per person. Book early to confirm your participation. Our tours are reserved and confirmed on a first-paid basis. When scheduling conflicts occur, priority is given to the customer who pays first. This particular culinary tour is designed for meat eaters, and is not advised for vegetarians or vegans. Our scheduled group tours are not appropriate for bachelor/bachelorette parties - please book a private tasting tour for your group. Tours run rain or shine. Must be 18+ years old to participate - minors will not be allowed to participate. Participation requires valid passport and if applicable, a valid multiple-entry Visa or U.S. Resident Card. Consult our Payment Terms & Conditions before purchasing.
All food and beverage as described in the itinerary above: you'll sip on craft beers and craft cocktails, and eat street tacos, tamales, and tostadas until you are stuffed! | Round-trip transportation in a well appointed air-conditioned tour vehicle from our designated border meeting point | Your bilingual culinary guide is a knowledgable ambassador of Northern Baja California's culinary scene | All itinerary times above except the start time are approximate and vendors may be substituted based on their availability | Tour guide gratuity is not included
BOOK THIS TASTING TOUR NOW
GROUP QUOTE, COUPON OR GIFT CERTIFICATE REDEMPTION, & MORE INFO REQUEST FORM...
Groups of 5 or less, please purchase this tasting tour above. If you have a coupon or gift certificate code, if you are a group of 6+ paying together on a single invoice, or for more information about this group tasting tour on January 13th, 2018, please complete and submit the inquiry form below before making your purchase...